Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bean Soup with Wild Garlic Chives

While I was walking down through the woods to the garden the other day, I noticed the wild garlic chives coming up through the fallen leaves in the woods. I got the machete from the wood shop and went and cut some and thought, "There has to be something I can do with these pungent little gems." When I got back to the house I washed them along with some more turnips from the garden and then looked in the pantry to see if they had any friends that they could hang out with in the crock pot for the rest of the day. The colorful, burgundy and white, Good Mother Stallard variety of beans caught my eye and I thought of bean soup. That was Saturday afternoon and it is now Wednesday, and I'm eating the leftovers here at my office for my lunch. It was good on Sunday but it is even better three or four days later! The taste and meatiness of these beans is wonderful! But, the true effects of this fruit probably won't be felt until the drive home this evening.

No comments: