Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gosh It's Hot!

Today has to be one of the hottest, muggiest days of the year. I dug two rows of potatoes and pulled weeds in the butternut squash and I'm almost dehydrated. I had a long cold shower afterwards.

I am getting concerned about the weeds. With the heat and rain the gardens have turned into a jungle. The eggplant are doing pretty well and I have another row of green beans growing that should get us through. There are plenty of onions, potatoes, tomatoes, and tomatillos coming along. The popcorn is looking a bit heat stressed but I think it will pull out of it as I did see the ears setting on.

Week 10 Box
Eggplant
Tomatillos
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Peaches
Sweet corn (maybe--it's almost gone)

I'm going to make some salsa verde this week. Here's a recipe you can use for the tomatillos...
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomatillo_salsa_verde/

Peach Cobbler
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/peach-cobbler-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

Teri said...

Dave - I feel your pain about the weeds! Brian just opened up one end of the garden and actually found it was better and easier to take the riding mower in and cut them all rather than to use the weed eater. And don't even think about pulling some of those monsters by hand! Sounds like you've done very well this year! So happy for you. :)

Teri