Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Basket Full of Tomatillos

It's Saturday morning CSA pick up and I'm sitting on my front porch greeting all of you as you stop by. I put a few tomatillos in your boxes again today, but as I have picked these and sit here with a bushel basket full of them next to me I wonder what I am going to do with them. It is the first year for me growing them and the are good but there are days when I am picking them that I can't remember why I grew them in the first place. So this morning as this modern farmer sits on the porch, I pulled up some recipes on the internet. And then I remembered the salsa verde that Taco Bell used to have that I would get instead of the red mild sauce or the medium hot salsa verde at La Bamba, Burritos as Big as Your Head. So that is what I'm going to make today, salsa verde. How about you? Here are some recipes. Let me know if you would like more of these little lanterns in your box next week.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Fruits-and-Vegetables/Vegetables-N-Z/Tomatillos/Main.aspx

2 comments:

Sarabei said...

We love the tomatillos! We use them for salsa verde. I've also used them with avacado to make a salsa/guacamole type dip. I don't really have a recipe; I just added some of the onions, garlic, jalepeno and cilantro in our box and an avacodo or two to the food processor.

Stinson Anderson said...

Oh, the avacado sounds good added to the verde. I canned 5 quarts of salsa verde last night and it is really good! I can't wait to make some more. I will add more tomatillos to your box for next Saturday if you like. We do have a lot of them.